An explosion of study in the Western world during the Renaissance in both the chemical arena and alchemical arena was likely precipitated by the Kybalion and other teachings of Hermes Trismegistus. These teachings are called Hermetics and before the Kybalion in 1908 were only taught verbally or in very cryptic writings. The Hermetica is a collection of papyri from the 2nd and 3rd centuries A.D. The collection are mostly presented as dialogues discussing the diving, the cosmos, mind and nature. Some touch upon alchemy, astrology and related concepts. The extant Egyptian-Greek texts dwell upon the oneness and goodness of God, urge purification of the soul, and defend pagan religious practices, such as the veneration of images. Their concerns are practical in nature, their end is a spiritual rebirth through the enlightenment of the mind. (source)
All esoteric traditions embedded in basic teachings of every race may be traced back to Hermes, even the ancient teachings of India. (source)
The extant Egyptian-Greek texts dwell upon the oneness and goodness of God, urge purification of the soul, and defend pagan religious practices, such as the veneration of images. Their concerns are practical in nature, their end is a spiritual rebirth through the enlightenment of the mind.
Doreen Virtue presents a clearly edited version ofThe Kybalion, written in understandable and modern language.
You have natural magical abilities that can elevate your life to a whole new level, as well as heal and help your loved ones and clients. Doreen Virtue gives comments and practical suggestions based upon her own success in using Hermetic teachings for healing and manifestation. With Divine Magic, you can master your moods, release negativity, manifest new levels of abundance, and attract wonderful opportunities in all areas of your life.
Skimming the principles listed in the Kybalion, it seems that a lot of self-help books get into the details listed.
- Principle of mentalism: the all is mind; the universe is mental.
- Principle of correspondence: as above, so below; as below, so above.
- Principle of vibration: everything moves, vibrates, and circles. To change one’s mental state is to change vibration.
- Principle of polarity: everything is dual, everything has two poles, and everything has its opposite.
- Principle of rhythm: there is rhythm between every pair of poles
- Principle of cause and effect: there is a cause for every effect, and an effect for every cause. There is no such thing as chance.
- Principle of gender: gender is manifested as the Masculine and Feminine principles, and manifests itself on all planes.
As local day Africans are rediscovering that ancient Egyptians look more like them than Caucasians, there is also a reclamation of the 7 principles of the Kybalion maybe more accurately referred to as the Seven principles of Maat.
- Science of Being in twenty seven lessons
- Seven principles of Ma’at